Monday, August 26, 2013

Cotching with the Kids

Everyone has a guilty pleasure. Chocolate. Cigarettes. Crystal meth.

Mine is somewhat less hardcore. Children’s films. Yes, I can recite every word to ‘I’ll make a man out of you’ from Mulan. I know where the sexual innuendos are hidden in the Little Mermaid and the Lion King. I was the only person over the age of 20 in the Ritzy cinema (without a child) that went to go and see Tangled.

However, with films like Shrek and Toy Story, kids movies are a far cry from the cutsie Bambi and even have a few dirty jokes hidden underneath a layer of icing. Sometimes even without the double entendres and inside jokes the years have brought you, it’s just an excuse to giggle freely at silliness.
Despicable Me 2 was first on my list to see. Naturally, I had already seen the first film. I had been introduced to the adorable children (IT’S SO FLUFFY I’M GOING TO DIE) and watched them slowly transform Gru into a nice person and loving dad. 

This time the film’s unique selling point was that of the minions, which, for me, was an exciting prospect. The only slight downfall with this change in focus was the lack of structure for the main storyline. But I still giggled, along with all the other 8 year olds in the cinema.

The other great thing about this film was the one-liners that you cannot stop repeating afterwards, which has now started to jeopardise my career.

A girl at work, who shares my love for children’s films, now ambushes me in meetings, in the kitchen, at reception or anywhere she finds me with ... LIPSTICK TAISER.

Another classic, when work gets just a teeny bit dull, is to sit across from my boss and giggle ‘Bottom. Hehe.’ Cheap thrills.



Where: Cineworld in Wandsworth
Price: £10.50 (241 Orange Wednesdays)
More info: www.cineworld.co.uk www.despicableme.com
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment